4.14.2008

oh, damn

This weekend, my cabaret (Anything Can Happen: a Whimsical Cabaret, check us out on April 19 and 26 at the Theater at Ha!) had it's first two performances. I told Melanie and Isaac at dinner on Saturday that Friday's performances could have been better due to some particular circumstances that afflicted the show. Sunday's performance was a whole 'nother ball game. It was wonderful! I'm so excited to tell you all that it is a really good show. Really, truly, deeply, good show.

Anyway, on Friday, three hours prior to performance, I learned that I was running lights and sound for that evening. After being told for 2 months that I wouldn't be allowed to enter the booth, I now found myself relearning how to operate a lighting board (I haven't touched a lighting board since '97). To say the least, my partner in crime (aka the director and star of the show Jessica) had her agenda (to conduct a badly needed rehearsal) and I had mine (to learn the boards and lightly tech the show). Jessica needed certain things from me, I needed certain things from Jessica. Heads butted, our voices were raised in anger and frustration, and I felt the stress creep into my shoulders. I was the tech, operator, and stage manager all at the same time and I wasn't having it!

Until I read Jessica's director's note in the program. Thank you to this person, thanks to that person, and then... "Finally, words can't express how grateful I am to Tara for all of her hard work on this show. Tara, without you the show would have never made it past the first few weeks, and I certainly wouldn't have survived to Opening Night. Thank you for being everything from a Director to a Publicist."

Please reread the title of my post to find out my reaction after I read that note.

No comments: