3.16.2008

alcohol consumption, tk style

Last night... where do I start?

My friend Dori, who I know through my dear friend Jessica, was having a small get-together for her 21st birthday. I had a little time between work and the party, so I took my time getting ready. Sexy black low cut dress, smokey eye makeup, and a perfectly coiffed bed-head 'do and I was all set to rock it for the night. I usually don't bark up my own tree, but I was pretty hot, if I do say so myself.

Got down to the Village, no problem. Did a little window shopping to kill some time, no problem. Then, my heals started to be a problem. They were either a little too big for me or my feet shrunk, and they keep slipping off. Went to Duane Reade and bought some cushioned heal liners. They didn't work all that well, because the adhesive wasn't working. I decided that it wasn't that much of a problem; I mean I looked great, why should there be a problem. That was until I was on Bleecker and had a Carrie Bradshaw (remember that embarrassing scene when she fell in Dior in Paris) moment. My right heal got caught in a divot in the sidewalk and I tumbled, knees first, on the ground. I wasn't on the ground long when two very nice older, and very handsome I might add, gentlemen helped me up. They asked me if I was ok, and one of them said to me that he didn't know how women walked in heals and I told him that I was doing really well for about 3 blocks until this. They smiled, and then saw me on my way.

At the restaurant, dinner was very lovely. We went to the Cornelia Street Cafe and ate very well. Cheese plate,hummus, wild rice risotto with mushrooms and butternut squash. Yum! Everything on the menu sounded so good that I had a hard time choosing my meal. My dinner partners were kind enough to let everyone sample each others plates.

After dinner we went to a bar called the Back Fence. A live band was playing and the place was packed. It was a lot of fun. By this time, Dori was starting to feel the effects of alcohol on her poorly unconditioned newly 21 year old self, but still standing up. As for me, well, it's hard to claim that I'm not a boozer and not really a party girl when I have and write about nights last last night. I won't bore you with minuet details. I'll just say cider, NYU grad students, and Oasis covers. That's all I'm willing to talk about.

The night grew longer, some of the girls wanted to go home and Dori wanted to stay. I initially set my exit time at midnight, but I felt motherly towards Dori and volunteered to stay with her so someone could make sure she got into a cab at the end of the night. At one point in the night, before a couple of the girls left, I text messaged a friend saying that I needed someone to remind me what a good friend I was for sticking around. It was late, and I was tired, and I drank so much that my liver was as saturated as a wet kitchen sponge. But I still meant that text. I needed a little reassurance by that time of the night. Despite my best intentions and the remaining events of the evening, I got home about 2 am. Not bad for someone who been doing this sort of thing since the age of 12, if I do say so myself.

No comments: