1.06.2008

closeted exchanges

Background info- I have only 2 closets in my apartment and both of them are pretty user un-friendly. They are long and narrow and tall and one has to be creative when thinking about how to organize them. My other has asked me to go through the closet in the 2nd bedroom, that we use as our office, so he could schedule a pick up from a charity organization that would take our old junk. Seeing how I have organized the rest of the apartment, how I am more tidy than he is, and how I even like to do this type of chore, I accepted this challenge.

Day 1- (Friday) The closet in my office has been purged save a few items. I removed everything on the floor, saved whatever clothing and shoes I planned on keeping while bagging the rest, combined the items within a couple of storage boxes into one box, removed one of the clothing rods, and vacuumed. I left a few old suits and a box full of t's for my other to go though.

Before...



After...



Not great pics but you get the idea. I had planned on putting a tall & narrow dresser we don't use much in the closet. It was to be for seasonal storage. It was a perfect plan. I measured out the space in the closet and the width of the dresser and I expected to have a 4 inch clearance on the sides. I asked my other to remove the dresser out of the bedroom (it was caught in a tight space) and put in it the back of the closet, as well as go through his share of the clothing that was left in the closet. By Saturday, all I had left to do was put back what we wanted to keep in an efficient and organized manner.

Results- Dresser didn't fit. I didn't measure the door frame. The other removed his box of t's and the suits but just placed them all on the first open surface he could find instead of sorting them. The dresser is smack in the middle of the office where there is only enough room to get around the piece of furniture if you don't mind straddling it. Kinky and annoying at the same time.

Next time- Other reasons why I'm doing this project (and I promise you it's not for the fame and glory of it all), more pics (hopefully), and the continuation of the story of my decent into the dark recesses of my closet.

No comments: