1.20.2008

brush up your english

My mom goes all out for Christmas. Every year she sends the following: gift cards, one really great gift, one really awful gift, and a stocking full of small items ranging from the practical to the "what the hell." This year, one of those stocking items was a 366-day calendars for your desk. The one she sent me was titled, "Jeffrey Kacirk's Forgotten English: A 366-Day Calendar of Vanishing Vocabulary and Folklore for 2008." Uh, thanks?

Anyway, I though it was ok, but I don't have a lot of work space so what am I going to do with one of these calenders? So, I left the calendar on one of my bookshelves were it functioned beautifully as a paperweight. Wouldn't you do that?

Yesterday, my other got into one of his moods about cleaning up around the house and as I was walking out the door for work he gave me a bag full of left over holiday chocolates and my 366-day calendar. When I got to work I opened up the box the calendar was in, removed the plastic wrapping, and tore the pages leading up to Tuesday January 1st. The forgotten word of that day was crapulous. My inner 7 year old thought that word was funny. The definition of the word is "sick by intemperance connected or associated with drunkenness." My inner alcoholic that definition was funny. I guess this wasn't as bad of a gift as I thought it would be.

The words for January 2 - 5 & 6 (which were on the same page) were not as good as crapulous. Manners-bit - a portion of a dish left by the guests, that the host may not feel himself reproached for insufficient preparation, basket-fortune - a small fortune, said of a girl's marriage-portion, lamb's wool - a favorite liquor among the common people, composed of ale and roasted apples, and gipsying-party - a party who meet to frolic int he open air. Don't you feel ready to tackle the verbal portion of the SAT?

No comments: