12.14.2007

long-term thinking about a short-term goal

Today is my last free day from work & school (like peas & carrots = 1 vegetable item at some diners). So I decide to spend the day at the school half of my life. Despite my beautiful office-like setup at home, I can't seem to get anything done while in my apartment. I love to find excuses so I can procrastinate. For example: the dishes really need to get done, there's a Ken Burns documentary on channel 13, I have to write a post for my blog. You know, the usual.

So, I have a big goal for myself today, and that is to make sure the majority of my work is done. Majority, for formal purposes, means at least 51% of the total. Majority, for me, means at least 3/4 of my total final amount of work. That gives me some wiggle room, about 24% to be exact, to do less and not be upset by it. There are already too many things for me to get upset over and I'm not going to let school work be one of them.

Perhaps if I had a goal to work towards. Or an incentive. And I'm not talking about some crappy incentive like "it'll make you feel accomplished" or "the reward is knowing you did a good job." I mean something like a big fat cupcake! Or a movie. Or a cupcake that I snuck into the movies. (this is getting out of hand).

So here's the challenge...as my friends, I need someone...Anyone!... to make a suggestion as to what I should look forward to for accomplishing today's goal. Please do not put cupcakes as an option... unless you will provide me with one personally. In which case, I probably won't consider it a reward since I'm in a cupcake challenge. But in any case, I'll gladly accept it with little to no fuss.

2 comments:

ipj said...

How 'bout going to a strip club when you're done?

mynewshoes said...

You could go to a strip club. At the end of each semester I used to buy myself a little something as a reward - like a magazine, or a new book. Clearly I'm the dork in this comment section. On that note, I like how you combined percentages and fractions in this post...complex.