9.28.2007

big girls only cry in the gym

Today something amazing, embarrassing, and relieving (all at the same time) happened today. I take exercise lessons from a friend and today was a particularly long session. In the middle of an intense stretch my trainer said in a soft clam voice "let it go" (referring to the tension in my shoulders) and I started to tear up. I wasn't crying because I was in so much pain but because I was finally letting go of the tension. I was embarrassed for crying in the middle of a crowed gym, but was happy knowing that I was letting something out of my body that was hurting me.

I've always known that I bottle most of my emotions in. And I also know where in my body my tension lies. But I've never been able to find a productive way to release it. This experience reminds me of the deep connection between the physical and the emotional. It also reminds me that I haven't been taking care of myself very well in a while. I was raised to be stoic and depended upon by my parents to be responsible and grown up at an early age. So I know that I don't handle stress and confrontation in a healthy way. Between work and school and family, I'm spent. Most days I'm at a point where I can barely function normally. But today, my lesson was better than the 5 years of therapy that I've had.

Therefore, I need to give a big heartfelt and warm thanks to my trainer for being so kind, gentle and patient with me during our sessions.

Also, if anyone out there has any pointers, advice or tips on how to deal with stress in a safe and healthy way, please post.

3 comments:

ipj said...

Awww. And that's why I do Pilates and stretch. That's how I deal with stress.

mynewshoes said...

1) Drinking/Drugs
2) Exercise
3) Therapy
4) Doing things you enjoy that may relieve stress - reading, a walk in the park, drinking a really good cup of coffee while writing in a journal, painting a picture...I'm pretty sure the reason many people make art is for that very reason - to have an outlet...

Such is my style of blogging - half-earnest, half-joking.

laurenj said...

I find that doing consuming things wtih my hands is very relaxing- but I often forget for months at a time and then surprise myself by how relaxing it is to pot a plant or knit or make a stew... Of course, now that I've re-read my post I'm wondering about OTHER relaxing and consuming things one can do with one's hands...