9.24.2007

a picture is worth a thousand... oh I'm so disgusted I can't even say it



Take a look at this picture. I found it on Gothamist under the heading "Ahmadinejad's Show Time at Columbia." The caption attached to the picture says, "photograph of Geraldo Rivera and various Columbia students." I traced the picture back to Flicker and found the following caption, "New York -- On the eve of President Ahmadinejad's visit to Columbia, Geraldo Rivera broadcasts his news segment live from campus." Got the context of the picture? Okay. Now, please tell me what's the worse thing about this picture. Is it:
  1. that a fan club rallied for the Iranian President (as suggested by the big I "heart" Ahmadinejad sign in the background)
  2. that Clay Akien made an appearance
  3. that Geraldo is still allowed on the air. By the way, if it wasn't for the trademark furry creature above his lip I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd... unless he drew a map to disclose his secret location on the Columbia University campus
  4. or that there's a girl in the foreground (and don't pretend like you don't notice the genius in the jogging shorts) who looks like she's trying to be the Monica Lewinsky of the Middle East (can't you see the passion in her eyes?)
I can't decide.

I'm not going to hop on my soapbox about how much I loath a person like Ahmadinejad-a-ding-dong. Nor am I going to rant about how much of a tool I think Geraldo Rivera is. However, there is such a thing as the 1st Amendment and there is also such a thing as not listening to someone you dislike or disagree with. There is also taste, tack, sincerity, common sense, and morality. But I'm going to give you all two words... PUBLICITY STUNT. On the parts of both Pres. ding-dong and the man with the dead squirrel on his face. I think this stunt would have been just as, if not more, productive if both of those men ran naked, hand-in-hand, accross 42nd Street. Just a thought.

No comments: