9.12.2007

"dr fine, dr howard, dr fine" or "how to get to know every ob-gyn in all 5 boroughs"

I just spent more time than needed to confirm an appointment, change said appointment, and renew a prescription only to find that the doctor that I was scheduled to see can't see me. Let me elaborate...

Okay, let me admit up front that I have become one of those snobby New Yorkers who rarely goes beyond a self imposed set of geographic boundaries. I live in Astoria, work in Times Square and go to school in the Upper East Side. With the exception of an occasional 'other event' I never go outside of these 3 neighborhoods. For years I've been seeing a series of doctors with in the same practice (who have all been great, btw) mainly because the office I go to is located 5 doors away from a subway entrance on my train line.

Earlier this year, my latest doctor left the practice for the sunshine and warmth of Alaska. !?! I was not offered another doctor to see because none of the other doctors in the practice took my insurance. Months pass. I couldn't put it off any longer, plus my job changed insurance carriers. So, I got an appointment with the nurse-practitioner at the location that I love. All set, right? Ah-ha, you would think. This morning I get a call confirming my appointment for this Friday at a Fort Washington location. Due to my snobbery, I never travel above 70th Street. So I call back to get an appointment with a doctor who goes to my location. Appointment booked. 2 minutes later, I talk another person to renew my prescription, and she tells me that the doctor I have the new appointment with doesn't see patients for annual checkups. FUCK!!!!!! So that had to be straightened out with the secretary who booked my appointment. After a referral and a call I finally got a doctor in another practice who takes my insurance, attends my location and who can see me before the year's end. Whew. If this ever happens to me again, I'm just going to go crazy and start to give myself pap smears. At least I know I can take my own insurance.

No comments: