9.18.2007

how many years does it take to complete a 4 year degree?

Recently, my boss asked me how long do I have before I am done with school. Done for real?" I asked in reply. "Yes." I was happy to reply that come June 2008 I will be a college graduate. But then I thought of how long it took me to get this far, and I became a little depressed. By the time I graduate, it will have only taken me 11 years to complete a bachelors of art degree. Well, technically it took me 6 years of actually taking classes and 5 years of thinking about why I don't need a degree and then later realizing that I can barely get a job with out a degree.

Anyway, this brings me to the question of what to do when I grow up. Was college worth it? Should I continue onto a masters degree? Should I take another break and do "something" with my life? Do I want to start a family at this time? I see so many possibilities and see what has happened to the people before me and around me. I see some people who are doing exactly what they want to do and are happy. I see people who picked whatever and stick with it because of responsibilities. The 5 years of "soul-searching," or whatever that was, brought me to New York from a life that I felt was going nowhere because there was something inside of me that needed a new direction. And alot of things changed in my life since my move here. But now I feel that I am not on track or that I don't have a goal. I feel like I've come full circle with the me of 7 years ago. Makes sense. I've heard somewhere that every cell in a person's body changes every 7 years.

No comments: