2.14.2008

a not-so-special v-day story

When I first moved to NYC I spent my first v-day alone. My roommates all had dates and I decided that I didn't want to stay at home pouting. So, I went to dinner at the Moondance Diner (no longer there) and to The Screening Room (now the Tribeca Cinemas) to see The Shop Around the Corner (staring Jimmy Stewart) because I love You've Got Mail (which is the remake of Shop...).

Well, dinner was fine, I think. I really don't remember what I ate. I only remember thinking about an ex-boyfriend of mine and writing him this really stupid "here's what I'm doing in New York, and oh, by the way, I really miss you right now" letter while waiting for my food. I never sent the letter. I loved the movie, but it was so awkward because I was the ONLY single person in the room. I remember this clearly because I was the only person who was not making sucking sounds in theater. There is a reason why most people who are single stay at home during v-day and I learned that lesson the hard way. Anyway, I came home to no love letters, no calls (and no, the one from my mother doesn't count). One is the loneliest number, as the song goes.

The End.

No comments: