2.13.2008

chocolate that makes a difference

As much as my friend Mary loves Disney, I love Hershey half as much. Which is still quite a bit. I have an amazing memory of my parents driving us to Hershey, PA when I was about 10 years old. It's amazing because I remember the smell more than I remember anything else. I don't remember if we drove around the town and we certainly didn't go on the factory tour, but we did go to the gift shop that was located near the factory and I can remember the distinct smell of Hershey chocolate in the air. It was equivalent to walking into a florist's shop and smelling roses everywhere. I also remember thinking (and I still do think this) that it must be wonderful to live in Hershey, PA because chocolate is the eu de perfume of the town.

Anyway, today I had an experience with the Hershey company that only strengthens my love for the company. Yesterday I bought an 8-pack of individually wrapped Reese's cups that was on sale for $.88 at the drug store. Besides being a smart financial decision I also began my period the night before so I needed my drugs. Along with an 8-pack of individually wrapped Hershey's Special Dark and an 8-pack of individually wrapped 3 Musketeers (which were also on sale) I brought them to work so I may further my reputation of being benevolent. Modest, aren't I?

To make a long story even longer, one of the individually wrapped Reese's cups was unwrapped and discovered to have some sort of chocolate mold (as elegantly described by Kansas). It was white and bubble like. It was suspect. However, I ate the cup because I love chocolate and peanut butter more than my own life. Mary and Kansas opened up cups the next day only to discover the chocolate mold. They love their lives more than me.

Today, IPJ was dismayed over the fact that less than 2 feet away from him were a pack of Reese's cups that he shouldn't have because of their condition. I wondered why their wasn't an expiration date on the package. We noticed that there was a Hershey hotline for questions and comments on the package. IPJ said that someone should call to complain about the product before him. That someone was me.

To make a long story short, I called, I found out about the secret expiration code/date thingy on the package, and was able to get a $1.00 Hershey coupon as a reimbursement. And the customer services rep was so nice and calm and helpful and I thanked her at least 5 times for being great, because she was and because I like it when someone thanks me for being nice to them.


Anyway, the point of the story is that despite Hershey being a really big company, I still support them because they have such nice people working for them. I'm sure you have no reason not to be nice when chocolate is the issue. Umm, what else? Chocolate makes the world go-round? Sure. The way to my heart is through a Hershey bar? Definatly. Being nice matters? Yes, because then I have more reason to be nice to others. Especially when I'm hopped up on chocolate.

No comments: