9.02.2008

summer in review

I may have to update this later with pictures, but I though it would be nice to summarize the summer of '08.

1. Toronto/Megabus/We Will Rock You:
My friend Jessica and I took a veeeeeeeerrrrrryyyyyyy long bus ride from NYC to Toronto just to see a musical. It was really exciting on a couple of levels; because I can't remember the last time I had a trip to anywhere that didn't involve family and because I finally got my passport. The city was beautiful, the food was wonderful, the sites were amazing, and the show was a bunch of fun with a really cute leading French-Canadian man. Mon dieu! Il était très beau.

2. Coney Island/Brooklyn Cyclones/Wonder Wheel:
I finally got of my butt and arraigned to have a group of current and ex-pat Vic'ers go to a ball game. A really decent sized group of us sat in the outfield bleachers on a gorgeous Friday night eating Nathans, trying to catch freebie shirts, and cheering for the home team. We ended our night with fireworks, fried dough and cotton candy, and a group ride in the Wonder Wheel (a stationary car, not the very scary swing car). A couple of us even rode the water flume that evening. From Coney Island to Astoria on the local N in sopping wet clothes in an air conditioned subway car. Fun.

3. Six Flags/Morality Police/That Sick-to-Your-Stomach Feeling by Noon:
On the last unofficial weekend of summer, me and part of my crew bused it out to,... well, we weren't quite sure, other than we knew we were in Jersey, to go to Six Flags. I haven't rode a roller coaster in like 8 years. I discovered that day that the amusement park is striving to become more wholesome and family friendly (ie: the little rule card you received prior to your park entry. No cursing, no midriffs, no smoking outside of the predesignated roped off 4x4 areas, etc... and it was enforced before our eyes!) and that I'm officially an old lady. I made it through 5 coasters and the air tram prior to lunchtime before I had to admit to myself that I'm not a teenager and can't take this tasting-my-stomach feeling.

I also learned that day that woman can not survive on chicken and potatoes alone. Where were the vitamins?!

4. Indiana/High School Graduation/Endless Pontoon Rides:
In as few words as possible...lots of corn fields; the step-kid didn't graduate; I didn't fish, but I got at least 3 books read.

5. Pool Parties/Psychiatrist/Other:
Other events of the summer include...
*graduating college
*swimming in a private pool (it's good to have friends who have things you can take advantage of)
*staring therapy with my other (and it's going... and going... and going...)
*attending summer concerts (Billy Idol and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
*going to the library for fun and not for assignments
*having every weekend off during the summer (I have not had Saturday AND Sunday off since I was unemployed)
*seeing lots of theatre (few good, most horrendous)
*and my never-before-seen Donna Reed impersonation (I cooked and cleaned house like a good little house wife-bleach!).

In summation:
This was certainly the best summer I've had since I moved to NY 8 years ago. It's great to know that I have lots of good friends to spend my time with and who all still know how to have a good time. It's one of those times in my life I'll be able to look back on fondly when I'm a senior citizen waiting in line for the early bird at the IHOP and I tell my friends from the rest home, "back in my day...". Good times.

1 comment:

laurenj said...

yay summer! I'm glad you had a good one. I wish I could have seen you more...but there's always fall?