6.05.2008

children of the corn

So, I'm back from my trip to Indiana. My looooonnnnngggg trip from Indiana.

As you may remember, I went out there for a certain someone's high school graduation that didn't happen. My other and I booked the tickets, using vouchers, when we found out the graduation date and the little brat didn't even do us the favor of graduating. Damn wasted vouchers. I was so ticked. While I was there, she told the story of why she didn't graduate (well, I heard the story 3 different times and all 3 times the story changed) and she proceeded to put the blame on everyone but herself. The short end of the long story is that she failed 4 credits and has to take them all over the summer if she doesn't want to repeat or take the GED. She's on her way to a luxurious trailer park lifestyle if she doesn't learn to activate and take responsibility for herself.

I could never live in Indiana. And I'll give you 3 reasons. And I'll give it to you in pictures.
One:

Two:

and Three:

They are all different pictures. But I kid you not, these were taken in 20 minute intervals while we were traveling from Indianapolis to Wabash. For 2 hours I saw nothing but empty corn fields. Indiana is nothing but one gigantic corn field that doesn't end until you get to Lake Michigan. Seeing the fields empty kinda reminds me of Texas when you are driving from one major city to the next and you see nothing but barren flatlands and the occasional access road. I should actually rephrase my earlier statement. I could never live in a place that is more than 10 driving minutes away from a city. I would just about kill myself if I had to drive long distances to get to the closest gas station or grocery store. Thank god for NYC.

So, I spend the entire weekend listening to teenage excuses and floating on my in-law's pontoon. They fished, I read. It was fine. I got through one book and started another while I was there. I didn't have much alone time. I helped my mom-in-law pick up after everyone because I didn't want to add to the hassle and I didn't want to make myself look bad even though I never clean up after myself at home. My other was sad to leave (cause his mommy baby's him and he did nothing but fish for 3 days straight) but I couldn't wait to get back to my real life. I missed you, New York!

No comments: