6.10.2008

they are called the "never" and the "rarely" for a reason

God is all powerful. God is good and benevolent. There is no way any benevolent god would allow the MTA to exist. Therefore, god doesn't exist.

I left work at 6pm yesterday. I didn't have to be at rehearsal until 8-ish. I thought I would have enough time to stop at the Target in Queens (for one of my costume pieces) before I headed further into the dark hole of Queens, two more stops on the R. I had no problem getting into the city that morning. As soon as I left work I ran to the subway, and as soon as I stepped on to my platform in Times Square my train pulled up. And I got a seat in an air conditioned car. Sweet.

That was until I got to the 5th Avenue stop. We waited, and waited, and waited. It turns out that there was a stalled train at the last stop of the Astoria bound line. The train I was on wasn't even going to Astoria. I don't understand?! Just another classic example of all of the N/W trains backing up at one end of the line or the other and causing a problem for the rest of the system. By the time we left the station I knew there wasn't enough time to go to Target.

Listen MTA, just because you put a lot of brand spankin' new trains on the N/W line doesn't mean that you're going to fool the people who rely on that line into thinking the service is getting better. It still fucking sucks! The trains still get backed up. They still bypass the local stops and piss off the people who have been waiting in the rain or the snow or the unbearable heat for a goddamn train to pick them up. They still go express at the most inappropriate times. They still go unbelievably slow. And still stop on that scary hairpin curve right before Queensboro Plaza for whatever reason. And now you want to raise the price of my ride again? Fuck you, MTA. Get your shit together.

And to do that I'm going to start here, at the Straphangers Campaign site's complaint page. There, they let you know how to effectively articulate your complaint and who the right people are to address those complaints to. We all deserve decent affordable service and we aren't always getting it. Help stop the insanity and stand up for your right to a safe, clean, efficient, and reliable mode of transportation.

No comments: