5.21.2008

melodic change of heart

Dudes, I know I totally dogged the upcoming Stephen King-John Mellencamp musical in Atlanta (that is sure to be some kind of Flannery O'Conner-esque southern gothic thing), but that won't stop me from commenting on other upcoming musical attempts.

I became giddy when I heard that there will be a Bruce Lee musical in the 2010-2011 Broadway season. I didn't excited over the source material, I mean, can you imagine him filming Enter the Dragon and then breaking out into song? Come on! But, I almost wet myself when I saw the names attached to this show. Bartlett Sher to direct, David Yazbek to pen the music and lyrics, and David Henry Hwang to write the book. Sher is HOT, HOT, HOT right now because of South Pacific and I loved his direction of Awake and Sing!. Yazbek totally got snubbed on his 2 Tony nominations for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and the Full Monty. And I love Hwang by default because he's my playwright boyfriend (David Mamet is too weird even for me and I happen to not be Isaac Oliver's type).

However, also reported in the announcement I found on Playbill.com, the same producers of the musicalized version of Bruce Lee's life are also producing an Addams Family musical for the 2009-2010 Broadway season. Oh well, I guess you can't win them all in the good idea department.

No comments: