11.10.2008

sincerely yours

I wanted to blog about this a while ago, but didn't for no decent reason.

The following is a selection of highlights in an e-mail exchange between Isaac and myself, sometime last month:

me: Hey all! ... For those that can, please meet me at the Dallas BBQ's on 23rd and 8th at 6pm. After dinner we can walk over to the... theater on 11th Ave and 23rd Street. Please let me know if I am to expect you for dinner.

Isaac: So business-like! "Please let me know if I am to expect you for dinner." Who are you, Edith Wharton?

me: My dearest M. Oliver,

My only desire, during this trying day, was to inquire of your attendance. Your company is always found to be of an indispensable quality. The rest of my guests, I surmise, wouldn't hesitate to agree.

Please allow me, once again, to express my interest in your presence for this evening's entertainment. Please contact me, by carrier pigeon or man-servant if available, of your reply.

Sensibly Yours,
E. Wharton


Isaac: Oh my god, I WISH I HAD A MAN-SERVANT ON HAND.

me: My Dearest M. Oliver,

If you find you are without one of your household servants, might I offer the use of one of mine. His name is Winfred and is a strapping young man with a gentle temperament. His has many qualities and skills that may be of use to you. In addition his uncomparable loyalty and devotion to his duty, he is a charming companion. He is even known, on occasion, to sing the gayest of warbles.

I hope you can find him of some use.

Frequently Yours,
E. Wharton

No comments: