11.05.2008

constitutionally amendmended

A little while ago, I ranted about same-sex marriage. I suggested that the legal and religious terms for a monogamous union should be different as to not cause a confusion between the legal and ceremonial processes between what government and the religions do, (did that make sense?). IE: the state calls it one thing and the churches call it something else.

The gist of what I was trying to say is that the words we use are not important. What is important is that ALL people are created equal (I'm not making that up, it says so in the US Constitution), and that same-sex partners should be afforded the same civil rights as opposite-sex partners. Marriage, civil union, business arrangement, limited liability partnership, whatever. Fuck what it's called. As long as everyone who wants it can have it. That way, all people, who are created equal, have an equal chance to mess it up and go to therapy like me.

No comments: