7.06.2008

american behavior

I've lived in NY for over 7 years and I have never gone out and braved the crowds to see the Macy's fireworks. I've usually stayed at home or gone to a friend's house to watch the fireworks on tv.

This year, my friend Jessica invited me and my other to go to Gantry State Park in Long Island City to see the 4th of July festivities. The park was finally open after a major renovation and Jessica wanted to go early to get a good spot on the lawn. I was on volunteer-advocate duty until 6pm. Of course, out of 6 people on call that day I was the only person to get a call to the hospital and it was at 4pm. That meant that I was sure not to get out until at least quarter after 6pm. And I was in bad need of a shower.

Around 7, Jess called to say that the police were beginning to cut off access to the park and they were handing out wrist bracelets for the area. I knew that there was no way we were getting to Gantry before the NYPD closed it off. 5 minutes later, Jess called to say that she got 2 extra bracelets for me and my other so we can get in. She would just pass us the wrist bands thought the fence as soon as we got there. No probs, right?

We got there by 8pm. After going through the security checkpoint we walked up to a crowd of thousands. Thank goodness for cell phones because I'd never find myself in a crowd. As it turned out, the police wasn't letting anyone out of the gated park area, even if they have a bracelet to reenter. How was Jess going to get the bracelets to us? She tried to leave to say she had to get a pizza she ordered. That didn't work. She had her teenage cousin say that her parents were outside of the gates. That didn't work. Finally, we got to the gate, Jess was on the other end. There was about 20 feet of security between us. Finally, she told a cop that I had come by to drop off something to her and that she had to give something to me. She was let through. We switched bags. Inside the bag she gave me had a plastic container with the two bracelets inside. The drop was made. I felt like I picked up some hard core drugs. Carefully, in the middle of thousands of people without the precious orange tag that guaranteed a prime view of the fireworks, my other an I put on our bands, said a quick prayer that the cop who saw the switch wouldn't recognize us, and walked through the 20 feet of security. Freedom.

Even in the rain, we had a great view and a great time. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the night if I was packed in like a sardine next to the waterfront. After sneaking through security for a good firework viewing spot, I feel dangerous. What's next for me? I might jay walk. Or worse, litter. I'm a criminal.

No comments: