11.02.2007

and on this episode of "art talk"...

I recently saw The Farnsworth Invention on Broadway (btw...go see it, it's great!). Everything was going well during the 1st act; no shushing, minimal candy wrapper opening, and not a cough to be hear in the entire theater. Then, as the lights went up to signal intermission, and as people began to stand up to stretch their legs or bolt to the restrooms, the comments started to come out of people's mouths and my tolerance for stupid shit disappeared. "I don't think I like it when the characters talk to me." "Is this a new play? I think I've seen it before, like two years ago." "This show is not in previews. I never see a show in previews." For the record, a character speaking to an audience is a literary and character devise that progresses the plot and characterization (when it's done well), the show had it's world premier at La Jolla in February of this year, and the show opens November 14th.

Now, I know that it is me who thinks that these comments are stupid. And you can see from former posts that I'm all about free speech, no matter how ignorant. But when people are misinformed about the art they are seeing, do I have a right to be turned off? I want to enjoy art. I want art out in the world for all to see. But I hate that art (specifically theatre in NY) is a tourist activity or that some New Yorkers go to the theater only when someone famous is in the show.

This brings up the question, who should art be for; for the people making the art or for those who are viewing and financially support the art? What are your thoughts?

No comments: