3.26.2011

lowcountry news

Wow, I am really behind in reporting my happenings in Slow'vannah. Where to start?

Eliza is growing and changing so much every day. When we go out for our daily walk, lots of people comment on how cute she is or giggle when she waves to them. If someone stops to chat, they are thoroughly impressed with how social and talkative she is. Well, not full words talkative, but when we practice talking at home she thinks she's being understood and therefore everyone in the world can understand her, too. Like, full on conversations. With inflections, dramatic pauses, and sometimes, run-on sentences. Too cute.

Her sign language is good. Really good. With in the last month, she's picked up 5 new signs. She's recently begun to use them by her own imitative. Today, she put two of them together to make a sentence (milk, please). I'm pretty sure I've never be prouder of anything in my entire life!

Oh, and one last thing... she gives kisses. Big, opened mouth, wet kisses, complete with a great big "aaaahhh" thrown in for emphasis. I adore it every time.

I need videos of all of these moments. Our camera had died. I put PK in charge of the task of purchasing a new one. I'm pretty sure he's waiting on me to do something. I have no f-in idea what that something is, but when he wakes up from his nap with Eliza I'll have to use my powers of nagging for good, not evil, to get him on this.

We've starting planting. We found a seed store and purchased peat pots, potting soil and seeds to begin our foray into home gardening. That was last week. Veggies, flowers and herbs were planted and so far we have a few seedlings that we are patting our selves on the back for. Mesclun, broccoli, radishes, and a bunch of wallflowers and marigolds are beginning to make themselves known. As for tomatoes and lavender (the two I really want flourishing in my garden) and a spattering of other random fun plants, they have yet to arrive. Maybe this week.

Eliza and I attend an art class at a really cool railroad museum. The last 4 weeks we have gone to The Roundhouse Railroad Museum to take a Toddler Art class meant for kids under 2. Nice and messy. Eliza seems to like being there and adores the teacher, but she'd rather take things from one table to another than play with the paints. I'm not sure if it's because she doesn't have the manual dexiterity to hold onto and manipulate crayons and brushes or if she's not really into it. At home, I'll keep encouraging and trying some new art projects for her to do (perhaps a toddler-safe form of collage or finger paint). But she recognizes what a painting is and appreciates it aesthetically. I'm blown away by the thought that my daughter already has an aesthetic opinion. Amazing. I think when this class is done, we'll try a music class. Hopefully nothing as manic as the music class we took at Kidville.

PK starts the new academic quarter on Monday. I think he really likes the challenges of what he's doing and has a new appreciation of what it takes to be a college professor. He also puts in 150% of his time and energy to that job.

Me, well, I tried to sign up for a class at the college, but since it was a free class as a part of the hub's benefits I'm not sure if I was even eligible to take the class at all. Since the class starts on Tuesday and I haven't heard back from admissions if I could even take the class, I'm taking that as a sign that this quater is not a go. That's okay. I can either attend a Stitch n Bitch locally or take a cake decorating class at Michaels. But both happen on the same night. What would you do? I'm sure it doesn't matter what I take, as long as I get out of the house. It's dawning on me that I'm meeting potential friends through my daughter. Unknowingly, she's my social secretary. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

No comments: