1.18.2011

tk in the garden of good and evil

Hey y'all! The baby's sleeping, so I thought that I'd write a quick note to my loved ones and devotees.

Sooooo.... we're in Savannah and the vacation mode that I've been living in for the last month is still there. It doesn't feel quite real to be gone from NYC. Perhaps because the last year of my life there I've been uber-localized in Astoria with the baby, and haven't been my social self, that has added to my the thoughts of, "oh, I'll see so-and-so next week," and "and I'll try to see such-and-such before it closes." There was a line about 'old so-and-so' in Urinetown, but I can't quite remember how it goes. Oh, well, and off track.

I've been very adamant about living a NYC lifestyle in the south, and Savannah seems the most likely place to do that. We live in the Historic District, which is only 1 sq mile in area. Astounding! Considering Astoria was 3 square miles. And I don't nearly see as many people walking about, besides tourists, which I'm sure will pick up more towards spring. We live very, very, close to Forsyth Park and a wonderful playground (bonus) and 2 blocks away from the only grocery store that serves the neighborhood. We've found our local breakfast diner (world famous Clary's) where the waitresses already know us, and know our post man and UPS driver by first name, already. We've found one of the local bookstores (E. Shaver) and seem to be integrating ourselves in a friendly manner, thus far.

Let me dispell some thoughts and questions you may have. No, I have not seen Paula Deen in person (but I am on the look out for either one of those cute sons of her's); I have not done "the Book" tour... yet; I am waiting until Eliza is a bit older before I wait in line for Mrs. Wilkes or until one of you visit; and finally, I am not one of the groupies of the Lady Chablis.

If you haven't seen "the Movie" or read "the Book" (which is what the locals , or I believe just he tourism industry, call "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") please do both. They are really excellent and romanticize Savannah and the Historic District to the point of making things seem like the area is one large Southern Gothic side show. The closest I've seen thus far is Mrs. Bradley, the wife of Mr Bradley of locally famous Bradley's Lock and Key. Her bleached blond, over blown-out and sprayed hair and half pound of make up make her ripe for a local legend. All I've seen in my 3 weeks of being here is a bunch of college students molding themselves into starving artists and frat boys.

I'll try to post pictures, but in the mean time, check out my FB profile for random camera phone shots. I miss you all very dearly and feel melancholy about missing out on the snow-ins this year, Christmas and New Years in the city, and warm visits over cupcakes with friends.

Hugs and kisses to everyone.

P.S. Should I change the title of my blog? I'm hesitant, because I feel you'll never really be able to take NYC away from me.

1 comment:

JB said...

I vote for not changing the name of the blog yet. Too many changes already, and you can always change whenever.

Thanks for giving a peek into your new Southern lifestyle. Sounds like you are settling in nicely.

We miss you!!